Welcome to Slow Food Hawai‘i!
- Subscribe to our email announcement list (below) to hear about upcoming events! You can also follow Slow Food Hawaii on Facebook.
- Our Local Food Guide now lists some CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture)!
- Slow Food Hawaii is sponsored four delegates to attend Terra Madre 2010 in Torino, Italy – Dashiell Kuhr, Chef Allen Hess, Colehour Bondera, and Melanie Bondera. A blog followed their journey and back for Big Island eaters to gain a more in depth understanding of slow food.
- Do you have overflowing orange, tangerine, avocado, etc. trees, or runaway zucchini? As part of an Urban Farming initiative, volunteers in Waimea and Waikoloa will pick or pick up fruits or vegetables from your garden you wish to share. These will be delivered to the Food Bank. Email Sue Kilbride.
- We would like to expand the presence of Slow Food Hawaii to other farmers markets on the Island, and are looking for volunteers in Kona, North Hawaii or Volcano who might be willing to set up a booth from time to time at the Keauhou, Hawi or Volcano farmers markets. Please help!
- For past events please see the Event History Page.
As a chapter of Slow Food USA, we support national and international efforts on behalf of sustainable agriculture and rediscovery of the pleasures of the table.
To join us, you join the national group at www.slowfoodusa.org. Please let the Big Island convivium know you’ve joined!
As a Big Island resident or visitor, when you join Slow Food you can participate in all the events of the Big Island convivium. We look forward to sharing our Big Island food and food culture with you.
Join us in supporting and enjoying the fruits of our local producers:
- tropical fruits, vegetables, coffee and herbal products
- taro poi
- meats, poultry and livestock products
- other diversified agricultural and artisanal food products
Some examples of past events:
- A tour of the renown Schattauer tropical fruit orchard and gourmet lunch featuring exotic fruits from the Twelve Trees Project
- A working tour of Mala’ai, the Waimea Middle School’s culinary garden
- Tour and Potluck annual meeting at historic Anna’s Ranch
- Barbeque at Kahua Ranch
- Tour and sampling at Kona Brewery
- Private tour of Kona Historical Society’s Uchida Coffee Farm